OPEN 2022 | Awards
Between August 5th and 7th, 2022, we launched OPEN Buenos Aires: international encounter of emerging printmakers at the Casa de la Cultura—La Prensa Building in the City of Buenos Aires. Throughout its 3 days of opening to the public, the selected artists shared their works in traditional and contemporary graphic and printmaking techniques with the visitors, celebrated the opening of their exhibition, offered workshops, demos and open talks, and, on the last day, 8 artists received the prizes awarded by the organization of the event.
During the inauguration, there were different guided tours by the OPEN Buenos Aires team and participating artists: we began with a guided tour by Andrea Auzmendi for high school students from the Cultural Pass program of the City of Buenos Aires, then María Romero Alves gave a demo of pinhole camera, and Florencia Reisz offered an approach to contemporary graphics through the works of the OPEN artists. Lautaro Parada offered Tarot readings, there was a guided tour for special guests by David Arteagoitia, Director of the FIG Open Portfolio and we closed with a collective toast thanks to the labels provided by Vino El Salvador.
After completing all the activities of OPEN Buenos Aires, the following 8 prizes were distributed, in addition to the 16 participation scholarships awarded to the finalist artists:
- 2 First Prizes: two artists with a stand each at the Fig Bilbao Fair in November 2022 + $250,000 for mobility + accommodation in Bilbao (awarded to Leticia Barbeito and Agustina Girardi)
- 2 Second Prizes: two artists with a stand each at the Fig Bilbao Fair November 2022 + accommodation in Bilbao (awarded to Solange Baqués and Lautaro Parada)
- 2 artistic residency scholarships at Fundación CIEC in Betanzos, Spain, for 2023 (awarded to Mariana Gayoso and Agustín Begueri)
- 1 residency scholarship at the BDC—Basque bioDesign Center in Bilbao, Spain (awarded to Julián Pesce)
- 1 residency scholarship at Proyecto´ace, including accommodation (awarded to Florencia Reisz)
The prizes were awarded by a Jury composed of David Arteagoitia (Bilbao, Basque Country, Director of the FIG Open Portfolio), Pedro Galilea (Salamanca, Spain, Vice President and Director of Fundación CIEC) and Alicia Candiani (Buenos Aires, Argentina, Director of the OPEN Buenos Aires and Fundación´ace) based on the quality of the works presented and the activities for the public proposed and carried out by the artists.